Earn your computer science doctoral degree at UL Lafayette, where we have been at the forefront of computer science research since the 1960s.
As part of our research mission in the Center for Advanced Computer Studies, we seek highly motivated and talented students to join our PhD in computer science program. Pursuing your PhD in computer science will be challenging, but if you love the work and have a deep passion for more knowledge, we want you to join us. Work along our world-class faculty to solve problems, conduct research to push the boundaries of computer science, and broaden your skill set.
Our PhD in computer science program is best for students who want to pursue research or a teaching career in computer science. To be successful in our computer science doctoral program, you’ll need:
- a strong analytical aptitude,
- the desire to pursue long-term research projects,
- the ability to solve problems creatively,
- the capacity to work independently, and
- exceptional motivation.
Apply to the PhD in Computer Science Program
To apply to the PhD computer science program, you need to go through the Graduate School to fill out the application and submit your additional application materials. Once the Graduate School reviews your full application, it is forwarded to the Center for Advanced Computer Studies for further review.
To be admitted to the PhD in computer science program at UL Lafayette, you’ll need to submit your transcripts, GRE scores, letters of reference, and statement of purpose.
If you are an international student, you’ll need to fulfill additional requirements to be admitted to the PhD in computer science program.
Doctoral Degree in Computer Science Curriculum
The PhD in computer science curriculum is divided into four phases:
- Breadth, which includes 48 hours of coursework for the doctoral degree in computer science.
- Depth, which requires that you pass your comprehensive exams in two areas of computer science.
- Dissertation Proposal, which requires that you write a prospectus outlining your proposed research and then present it to your dissertation committee.
- Dissertation Execution and Completion, which is when you conduct your research, write your full dissertation, and then defend your dissertation. This phase includes 24 hours of coursework for dissertation guidance for your PhD in computer science.
Doctoral Degree in Computer Science Career Opportunities
Our PhD in computer science program is designed for future researchers and academics, but a doctoral degree in computer science can also be an asset when seeking a higher position in the computer science industry.
Having your doctoral degree in computer science will give you a deeper understanding of the subject you plan to spend your life exploring — and that is always a great benefit for you and for your employer.